Friday 6 February 2009

The Master Arrives...

Well, after months of procrastinating I can proudly present Belial; Master of the Deathwing: 





(Larger pics can be seen here, be sure to use the magnified view!)

First off, I am really please at how this model turned out!

As most of you know there is no existing model for Belial, Master of the Deathwing. Most make do with the standard Terminator Captain model but, as an old model, its significantly shorter than the Terminator plastics. To be honest I can't really see the Master of the Deathwing being a tad on the short side...

I dreamt up this conversion ages ago - when I got a free AoBR captain (in fact I hinted at wanting to use it in a post last September), which forms Belail's body. The real steal of this project came after seeing 73rd's stunning Dark Angels Company Master, which used the cherub/cloak from St. Celestine. 73rd kindly allowed me to nick the idea, saving me having to attempt to sculpt a cloak from Green Stuff; something I doubt would have gone well! 

I also Green Stuff a small mound on the base, giving him extra hight over the terminators he leads. 

As for the painting, I'm really pleased with how the Cherubs turned out (I used the method for painting Elf Flesh from the newest White Dwarf), and Belial is also the first of my Deathwing with bone highlights. The banner was done by painting the bone band, applying transfers and then painting red over them. The model does risk looking a bit 'busy', but that's how I think Space Marine heroes should look - pretty much weighed down by trinkets, banners and symbols of authority. Leave the subtle approach to the Guard!

Anyway, any comments or criticisms are welcomed. I'll leave you with a piccy of my favourite cherub. Perhaps I should name him. Any suggestions? 


11 comments:

Siph_Horridus said...

Good job fella, I like it a lot. The bone colour looks fantastic, just how i remember Deathwing from years ago in Space Hulk!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! The colours are spot on and I love the smooth-looking finish.

eriochrome said...

That looks good. I like how you did the lightening claws. I am looking currently for a good way to do my power weapons. Maybe I will do something similar.

Space Hulk Enthusiast said...

Nice job.

Now I need to get off my lazy backside and get working on mine. I even went with the Lightning Claws too.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome model, and thanks for the mention!

The colours look great on your Belial, especially the green cape in contrast to the bone coloured armour.

I'm glad this model turned out so well for you mate!, he must look amazing on the board!

oni said...

Excellent job! I'd be proud to have such a beautifully painted model hand me my behind. ;)

Admiral Drax said...

Simply fantastic, mate: well done!

Alan Hoch said...

Nicely done! And, it gives me an idea of how to use my copy of that cloak!

Unknown said...

looks really good man. First time I have seen someone use the Celestine cloak for this, nice touch.

I also use the decal and paint method but the skull still has a little decal shine to it.

Could be the camera glare too, hard to say.

anyways, awesome belial.

Matt said...

THATS AWESOME...MY BELIAL CHALLENGES YOUR BELIAL TO A DUEL TO THE DEATH...

sovietspace said...

Just realised, I haven't thanked everyone for their comments on this!

It's great when a project comes together, and even better when you get the praise of all you lot out there!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin